Monthly Archives: November 2011

Emails received as HTML text – How to correct!

Several users (8.5.1 and 8.5.2) have reported receiving emails as HTML formatted text.  After reviewing Notes preferences and reinstalling the Notes client, IBM Support was contacted. Here are the findings:  
This problem may occur after Google Chrome has been uninstalled.   If the default browser is not chosen when uninstalling Chrome, Notes will not be able to find the OS default browser.

To resolve the issue, set Internet Explorer or Firefox as Window’s default browser.   In some cases these registry keys may need to be manually changed to point to the iexplore.exe (with the path information:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\command\

HKCU\Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command\
HKCU\Software\Classes\https\shell\open\command\

This issue has also been seen with Firefox 4 and 5.  If FireFox was set as the default browser and then back to IE, the keys are not updated so Notes will still use IE.

If you do change the registry settings, the user workstation may need to be restarted for them to take effect.  Be sure to take a registry backup prior to making any changes.

Traveler 8.5.3 and Apple Devices

We’ve been testing Traveler 8.5.3 in advance of our roll-out to our users this weekend. One thing we noticed was that on our Apple test devices, lookups for groups returned extra data.  See below:

Upon investigation, I found this wiki article.  Adding the following property to the data\traveler\cfg\NTSConfig.xml file

<PROPERTY NAME=”TSS_ADDRESSCACHE_ENCODING_ENABLED_AS” VALUE=”false”/>

addresses this issue and does not affect lookups for any other device (Android, etc.).  Be sure to test this out first before modifying this in your production environment!

Domino 8.5.3 and iNotes Lite Mode

A colleague of mine ran into this scenario after migrating to Domino 8.5.3 with iNotes.  After upgrading, users logging into iNotes would experience a browser time out.  Research found that the setting in the notes.iniiNotes_wa_DefaultUI=dwa_lite if removed, would allow the users to login successfully.  However, the preference was to have iNotes_lite as the default.  They aren’t using the iNotes redirect to set those settings on the fly. 

After contacting IBM Support, they were notified that this is an existing SPR (CTSI8MLMDR).   One suggested work around if you want to set a default iNotes format is to use a Mail Settings policy to assign a User UI mode.  See the screen shot below for a suggested configuration: